The Kackistocrat's Handbook for the Recently Deceased.

My childhood was typical--summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we’d make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds; pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of 14 a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles . There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it’s breathtaking…I suggest you try it -- Dr. Evil

My Photo
Name:
Location: Richmond, California, United States

Monday, May 16, 2005

What the fuck is a Celebutante?

OK, in all honesty, we all know what a "celebutante" is. And for those of you who don't, allow me to enlighten you. A "celebutante" is a collaboration of the words celebrity and debutante, this much you know. But the true meaning of this word has come to mean people who are famous for being, well, famous. The most notorious example of this subspecies in the modern era is Heiress Paris Hilton.

I still haven't quite gotten the American attraction this piece of trash. So here's this girl who is a multimillionaire without ever having to work a day in her life; I guess that's attractive. Now, let's see... What else? OK, she's quite dumb, stubborn, conceded & arrogant, bitchy, self-serving, and, in my opinion, unattractive. Let's face it, she's got a body like a 13 year old boy and an attitude to match. She can't act and has nothing to offer society, so where's the attraction?

I saw Carl Bernstein (who broke the Watergate scandal in the 60's) give a speech a few weeks back. In his address he gave a great example of what is wrong with the media; what he called the Idiot Culture. Back in the mid 1980's he picked up the New York Post and saw a front page article about Donald Trump getting in trouble with his wife (at the time) Ivanna over his mistress Marla Maples. Now, ordinarily this wouldn't be that big of a day except for this:
That same day the allies decided to unify Germany and Nelson Mandela spent his first day back in the country he was exiled from twenty-five years earlier. The point is, the media is more concerned over what sells news as opposed to what is news.

Some would say that this is what the people want, so this is what they should get. To them I say go home, turn on Jerry Springer, and stay the hell away from elections, ballots, and anything else that has an effect on the way this country is run.

I turned on MSNBC sporadically over the last two weeks and I saw three stories: One was about two missing little white girls, one was about a white woman who let her husband to pretend that she was kidnapped by a couple of minorities, and the third... Michael fucking Jackson. Are we not still at war in Iraq? Are soldiers not still fucking dying in Afghanistan? Is North Korea not enriching Uranium anymore? What the fuck?

The thing is, I'm not against celebrity news, we all need a break from reality to find out that Tom Cruise is now with Katie Holms or that Cameron Diaz was kissing the producer of her new show while her hubby Justin Timberlake is in the hospital for nodules on his vocal chords. But why is Michael Jackson getting who hours of news devoted to his trial? Why do we need to see hours of Paris, and Nicole, and Cameron, and Tom, and Lindsey, and Brittany, and Alvin, and Simon, and Theodore?

Listen, the point of this is that we all need a break from the horrors of the world. But when you turn on a 24 hour news channel and it's 22 hours of Michael Jackson you gotta wonder? We live in an idiot culture that feeds on sound bites and quick clips; pictures of pop stars and who their fucking this week. We all know that ignorance is bliss, but as long as we continue to allow the powers that be to spoon-feed us this fantasy, the truth will always be theirs to hide and ours to never know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, too, but I feel obligated to point out that Cameron Diaz isn't married to Justin Timberlake. Not yet at least. I'm so glad I know that :-).

~~~~Liz

2:53 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Actually, I said hubby, not husband.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Website Counter